Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gettin’ All Technical With It

Talent can only get you so far.  The same goes for determination.  I strongly believe that if a person is to be successful in a mission, they must utilize tools.  A professional person, no matter what profession, has a set of tools at the ready to get the job done.  The best professionals make accomplishments look effortless and I can guarantee that they not only have a fine tool set they have also mastered those tools.  In my years as a custom framer I spent my down time digging through print catalogues, memorizing artists, styles and media.  To many of my coworkers, those print catalogues appeared to be nothing more than a resource for a customer to use to update their dining room.  But to me, they were a powerful educational tool.  Over time I became a knowledgeable and resourceful framer who not only knew about art, I also knew how to properly display it.  The same can be said for my time as a student of accounting.  I have found many resources that I pull from when completing an assignment.  If I am having a difficult time understanding a term in the text provided, I go to www.accountingcoach.com or www.investopedia.com to find the answers needed. 
The point I am trying to get to is this.  If I am going to be successful in weight loss, I am going to need to utilize some effective tools.  I have some in place, but the one I am the most excited about is My Fitness Pal.  I have gone through a couple of weight loss aps on my iPhone and found them to be rather disappointing.  My darlin’ came across My Fitness Pal and was very excited by what it is able to do.  We have been using it for a couple of days now and I have to say I am quite impressed with it.  
Jazz hands so powerful they brought on jazz feet. 
This thing must be good.

My favorite features it provides are:
Tracking diet and exercise – you are able to enter in all of your food intake and exercise and the application keeps track and displays the information. Super tech-y scanner – When entering in your food, you can use the scanner option to scan the bar code and the dietary information is automatically entered.  Calorie Limit – This ap takes where you are and where you want to be and figures what your daily calorie intake should be to meet that goal. 

It’s Social!!! – It is a social ap!  Once you set up an account you can find friends and see their daily food and exercise diary.  You can encourage your friends and help to keep each other motivated.  Also, if you have lunch with a friend and you have the same meal, you can go into their diary and copy their entries and make them your own.  If you decide to sign up friend me and we can encourage eachother, my username is Supermartie.
It’s F-R-E-E – Yes kiddies you heard me right, this sweet ap is free.
Highly accessable – My Fitness Pal is available for Apple and Android devices.  And if you do not have a handy dandy smart phone, you can still access the website www.myfitnesspal.com
This is by far the best tool I have found so far.  It is fun to see what all you can add in.  I hope you sign up too, even if you are not trying to lose weight, it is great for maintaining.  Good luck to us all!

2 comments:

  1. This morning I was thinking of looking into some different apps for this purpose. Normally, that turns into frustration as I struggle to figure out how to use several different apps, just to decide I don't like most of them. You may have saved me a bunch of time, so thank you.

    I'm not sure how I feel about using social tools on something like diet and exercise, but I suppose a lack of accountability is a big part of why previous attempts have failed. We'll see how it goes this time.

    By the way, congratulations on the progress you've made so far. From what I've seen of you, if you put your mind to a goal, success is bound to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan I am glad this helped! Good luck on your journey and hopefully we can encourage eachother. :)

    ReplyDelete